While watching "Last Call with Carson Daly" in the hospital (after being hit by a car shortly after winning $100,000 on a lotto ticket), he learned that doing good will come back to reward you. He wrote down everything wrong he did in his life and started to make up for all the mistakes he had made ("Pilot").
As of the end of the series, Earl has completed at least 95 of the 277 items on the list. In one of Greg Garcia's shows, Raising Hope, a newscast in the background of the pilot episode mentions a "local man" who finally finished going through his list of wrongs that he had committed. Since it is implied that Raising Hope is in the same universe as My Name is Earl, it indicates that Earl may have finally completed his list.
In Pilot, Earl made a List of 259 numbered items, but in five episodes Earl added one item each, in one episode he added two, and in another his father added one, bringing the count to 267. However, Earl uses #260 on two different occasions, so the total was only up to 266. As of the end of Season 1, Earl has so far completed 36 items, unsuccessfully attempted five, been absolved for two, started work on two items, and intends to leave one permanently unresolved as a reminder, leaving 221 items outstanding.
As of GED, Earl had completed 57 items, unsuccessfully attempted five, been absolved for at least nine (with the total amount unknown because in The Birthday Party everyone at Earl's party crossed an item off as a present), started work on two items, and intended to leave one permanently unresolved as a reminder, leaving a maximum of 199 items outstanding. Earl added one to the list in three episodes, and four to the list in another, bringing the total to 273.
Earl crossed off #47, #72, #87, #94 and #231, as well as another three items in The Magic Hour, We've Got Spirit Little Bad Voodoo Brother. He left on #7 in Sweet Johnny as a permanent reminder. He added #276 in Nature's Game Show, which he then crossed off, and #277 and #278 in Pinky, the first of which he also crossed off.
Season 1 made chloe kenny upset when i was in a coma
263 Ruined Randy's life - Unknown
Made a healer kid scared of his hands (added by Joy while Earl was in a coma)
- 98 Told Dodge and Earl Jr. we would have a father son day at Mystery Fun Land and didn't take them ("Barn Burner")
- ?, #141
- Season 2
- (Unnumbered list item 11) Pulled pranks on Randy ("The Birthday Party")
- (Unnumbered list item 12) Peed on Mom's rug ("The Birthday Party")
- (Unnumbered list item 13) Got Darnell stoned (literally) ("The Birthday Party")
- (Unnumbered list item 14) Almost got Donny Jones killed by a fern ("The Birthday Party")
- (Unnumbered list item 15) Made fun of Joy being pregnant ("The Birthday Party")
- (Unnumbered list item 16) Almost got Dad divorced and gave him a back problem ("The Birthday Party")
- (Unnumbered list item 17) Stole DJ Dave's equipment except one turntable ("The Birthday Party")
- Season 3
- Season 4
- Season 2
- Season 3
- Season 4
|Time||Total number of items||Completed||Absolved||Attempted||Started||Permanent||Unaccounted for|
|End of Season 1||267||36||3||5||4||1||218|
|End of Season 2||273||57||at least 9||5||4||1||max of 197|
|End of Season 3||273||66||at least 10||5||4||1||max of 187|
|End of Season 4||277||95||at least 10||5||5||1||max of 162|
NOTE: Not all numbers on the list have been revealed, therefore the following table only shows those which have been revealed.